cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Ingredient -Chewy, Ooey, Gooey, Chocolatey Dense Brownies!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_4701.png

I am a chocohaulic. There. I've said it. That's not to say I'm not discerning, because I am. For instance, I like goodchocolate, not the stuff that is mostly wax. Generally speaking I prefer dark chocolate, but not always. And in all honesty, I don't really love white chocolate -at least not by itself.

IMG_4683.pngAnd with that, there are few things that I enjoy more than a good chewy, ooey, gooey, chocolatey, dense brownie, and these 5 ingredient brownies are so crazy simple that I make them frequently!

One time when my eldest son was somewhere around the age of three, we lived way up on a hill overlooking a road. I'd made brownies earlier that day, and after dinner, there was a car that stopped on the road below us. My husband said, "Huh, I wonder why they stopped, and was about to say, "I wonder if they need help?" when Forest, who was born with the chocohaulic gene, interjected with utmost certainty and said in his little voice, "I know why they stopped. They wanted some of Mommy's brown-browns!" Such is the logic of a little ones, especially little ones who love chocolate, as Forest does.

IMG_4690.pngThese are super easy to make and once you pop 'em in the oven, you can do other thing for the next 45 minutes or so! So why not give 'em a whirl and enjoy them with a glass of milk or tea on a warm summers evening?

Ingredients

3 cups sugar
1-1⁄2 cups flour
1-1⁄2 cups cocoa powder, sifted
1-1⁄4 cups butter, melted (2-1⁄2 sticks)
6 large eggs, beaten
*Optional, see below

IMG_4685.png

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F.Put all the flour and sugar in a large bowl, then sift the cocoa powder in and whisk them together.
Add melted butter
, eggs and any extract you may want to use to the dry ingredients, stir a little, and combine thoroughly.

If you want to add any special additions, i.e. nuts, mocha chips, cream cheese, this would be the time to do it.

Transfer the batter to a greased 9 x 13-inch (or thereabouts) pan. Note: This batter is very thick, which is part of the reason for the denseness of the brownies!

Put the pan on the middle rack of the preheated oven for five minutes, then take it out and gently shake it (this helps to even out the batter), and then bake for another 40-45 minutes. The brownies will be done when the edges have browned but aren’t quite pulling away from the edge of the pan, and the center is moist, but not really wet.

Take the tray out of the oven and cut the brownies immediately, which helps them to cool faster and prevents further baking.

*I never add vanilla to my brownies because I want my brownies tasting like chocolate! Having said that, there are times that I do make some additions to gussie them up a little; i.e. 1 teaspoon extract, try almond, orange, cherry. Or for a delicious surprise, try adding 1 cup a cup of shredded coconut or dried sour cherries or 1 cup of either mocha or white chocolate chips, for instance!

Bon Appétit -Life is Good! ❤️

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AndrewEatsEverything
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Agreed! Nothing better than a simple recipe that has everyone ooh'ing and ah'ing! 

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewEatsEverything
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

These look so good! I also love the simplicity of this recipe and its ingredients. 

I'm like you - a purist - when it comes to foregoing the vanilla. One thing I *do* add, is about 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder; it gives the cocoa a boost without becoming coffee-flavored. 

Oh @AndrewEatsEverything, been there done that with espresso powder, because I absolutely LOVE mocha!  And I agree, I love the simplicity of this recipe!  But there again, I LOVE simple recipes that are so great they make you look like a kitchen goddess! ❤️

AndrewEatsEverything
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Agreed! Nothing better than a simple recipe that has everyone ooh'ing and ah'ing! 

EdT
Home Chef
Home Chef

Warm out of oven with vanilla ice cream (a pint will do) oh yeah.