Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Return to Sunday Dinner

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Late summer Sunday dinnerLate summer Sunday dinner

There is something about a Sunday Dinner that I adore. It's the love of family and sense of gratitude as we gather together to spend some time meshing and regrouping, almost as if to fortify each other both with food and companionship for the following week.

And now that it's finally cooling down to the point where I'm not absolutely melting at just the thoughts of making a Sunday Dinner, it's a pleasure for me to spend some time working on a more formal meal.

New potatoes, seasoned and ready for roasting.New potatoes, seasoned and ready for roasting.

Taking the time to dig some potatoes from our garden (one of my boys enjoys growing potatoes), washing them, chopping them, and with dual purpose, rolling them in olive oil which helps prevent them from sticking to the pan while at the same time, allows the spices to adhere to them as they cook is rewarding.

Plucking beans off of the vine, with the help of my Jolly girl (my black mouth cur) who adores green beans and occasionally helps herself to my bounty, then, with a nod to times past, sitting on my front porch clipping their ends as I watch the hound dawgs play, was balm to my soul.Nipping off the tips of the green beansNipping off the tips of the green beans

Readying the pork chops, brushing them with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and, at the last minute, a sprinkle of granulated garlic, knowing that that spices and smokey flavor from the grill would be the perfect combination for a late summer dinner was satisfying.

Because they take the longest, I put the potatoes in the oven to roast. Then when they were two thirds done, I put the pork chops on the grill. After which I made the garlic butter for the beans, by mincing three cloves of garlic and adding that to half a stick of melted butter and allowing the whole thing to warm gently before taking it off the heat.Grilled pork, garlic green beans & seasoned roasted potatoes; Voi-la, Sunday DinnerGrilled pork, garlic green beans & seasoned roasted potatoes; Voi-la, Sunday Dinner

I put a pot of water on to boil, added the beans and once they had softened, but were still bright green, poured them into a colander, let them drain, put them in a heavy crockery bowl, added the garlic butter and a pinch or two of salt and mixed them up, just before I took the potatoes out of the oven and the meat off the grill. Truly what a pleasure.

Bon Appétit, life is Good... ❤️

2 REPLIES 2

CapnKidd_on_Cape_Cod
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Those potatoes look Great! great color and I can see the roasted texture. good job. 

Thank you @CapnKidd_on_Cape_Cod,, that's very nice of you and in all honesty, the were terrific -always a plus when you take the time to do it! ❤️