cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Candied Jalapeños are Divine!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Using various color phases of jalapeños makes for a beautiful end product!Using various color phases of jalapeños makes for a beautiful end product!

There are some things in this world that are just divine. And candied Jalapeños are one of them. I discovered them when I was out singing and ordered a plate of nachos. The nachos by themselves were terrific, but what put them over the top were the sweet/hot jalapeños. It took me a couple of bites to figure out that what made them particularlydelicious, was that they were candied, but when I did figure it out, Holy Crow, was I excited!

I use candied jalapeños in all kinds of things. I put 'em on crackers with cream cheese, I use them on nachos, I put them in corn bread, I even stick them in a pot of chili. My boys like to use it on venison wrapped in cream cheese and bacon, you can put them on toast, you can brush the syrup onto things like lamb chops or porch chops, you can use them in a savory cheesecake and heck, I even like them over vanilla ice cream!

I hope you enjoy these as much as we do, and I'd love it if you'd drop me a line and let me know what you use them in!

Bon Appétit, Life is Good... ❤️

Sugar, vinegar, jalapeños & simple spicesSugar, vinegar, jalapeños & simple spices

Ingredients:

3 lbs. Jalapeño Peppers, fresh, firm & rinsed

2 cups White Vinegar

6 cups Granulated Sugar

1 Tblspn Yellow Mustard Seed

1/2 tspn Turmeric

1/2 tspn Celery Seed

1 Tblspn Granulated Garlic

1 tspn Coriander

1-2 tspns Red Pepper Flakes

*1 Habanero

This recipe is a little tough to give exact amounts, because, for me at least, a lot of it depends on the heat of the jalapeños. Some jalapeños are extremely hot, while others are sweet like bell peppers. The whole point to this recipe is to have a sweet heat. That being said, if the jalapeños are spicy, I don't use a habanero, and I might omit or at least cut down the amount of red pepper flakes I use. If however, the jalapeños are like bell peppers, I add the full amount of red pepper flakes and put the habanero in with the liquid to boil thus adding heat to the liquid. taking it out at the end of the process.

Use those ingredients to your taste and discretion. If you're one who likes it HOT, no matter how hot your jalapeños are, go ahead, and toss in the full amount of red pepper flakes along with that habanero. If you like a little heat, but don't want to burn your mouth or have steam coming out your ears, just use the jalapeños.

Jalapeños added ready to be simmered in syrupJalapeños added ready to be simmered in syrup

Instructions:

-Wearing gloves, and holding the stems of the jalapenos, slice the peppers into uniform, 1/4 inch rounds. Discard the stems and set the slices in a bowl.

-In a large pot, bring vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic, coriander, red peppers to a boil. IF I'm going to use it, this is the step where I add the habanero.

-Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

-Add the pepper slices and simmer for almost an hour.

-Spoon or ladle the peppers, into clean jars, not filling it above 1/2 inch from the rim.

-Pour the rest of the syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel, screw on the lids to finger-tip tightness and stick them in the fridge.

Candied jalapeños, perched on top of crackers with cream cheese -Holy Crow are they good!Candied jalapeños, perched on top of crackers with cream cheese -Holy Crow are they good!

0 REPLIES 0