cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cookie Jar News #1 -Chocolate Chip Cookies

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Note all the chocolate chips in these cookies.Note all the chocolate chips in these cookies.

When my boys were little I used to buy darned near everything in bulk because, well because raising 4 growing boys meant that I went through a lot of groceries! Add to that I homeschooled them so they were home most the time, which meant that even though I fed them well, they frequently went rummaging through my fridge and pantry looking for something, anything to fill the gap.

Now before you get affronted at my being a terrible mother for starving her children, allow me to explain. Take my third son Wilder for example. When he was little, it didn't matter if he had breakfast at 4:00 AM or 9:00 AM by 9:30 AM he was always ready for lunch!

My youngest son North who at age two would greet his daddy at the door each night with a report, "Momma didn't make no cook-cooks, momma didn't make no 'i-keem', momma didn't make no, bown-bowns, momma didn't make no 'i-keem', momma didn't make no take (cake), momma didn't make no 'i-keem', momma only made bit bits (biscuits).

Youth and exuberance are no match for age and treachery.Youth and exuberance are no match for age and treachery.    One time, my second son Hunter, who at the ripe old age of 2-1/2 loved homemade pie so much, was mad at me whenI'd made a couple of apple pies that were cooling on my counter and told him he had to wait for dessert before he couldhave some. After that conversation, I got busy doing something and when I turned around, there he was, sitting in his daddy's big rocking chair chewing something. On closer inspection, I realized he'd climbed up on a stool and tore off two giant hunks of pie crust and sat happily munching pieces of the prize he so desperately wanted.

In some ways my eldest son Forest was the worst of all because he's always had a wicked sweet tooth. When my boys were growing up, I used to bake so much that I'd regularly buy 100 lbs. of flour and 20 lb. bags of chocolate chips at a time. Because Forest was a chocoholic, I used to hide the chocolate chips buried deep in my chest freezer and pulling them out only when the boys weren't around.

Several years back Forest informed me that he'd known where I hid the chips and when I wasn't looking he'd steal a whole bunch of them at a time. Add to that he figures he must've stolen dozens of lbs of chocolate chips over the years.

Knowing that little has changed when it comes to food and treats with my boys, these days if I make cookies and have any extra cookie dough left (yeah, I know, who has that really? Except I try to treat them, though not over treat them) I always put it in an empty sour cream container and mark it, "Squash" and stick it in the freezer thus ensuring it's safety until I'm ready to bake another batch.

Ah, youth and exuberance are no match for age and treachery...

The Rest of the Story:

I. Love. Homemade. Chocolate chip cookies. Period. End of story. And as the mother of four (large) boys, I can testify that they do too!

Love chocolate chip cookie doughLove chocolate chip cookie dough    I love the texture of the dough as I'm making it. I love the smell of them baking. I love the excitement I feel when I take them out of the oven to cool and know that in just a little time, I get to bite into a chewy, gooey chocolate chip cookie.

But, there is one thing I don't love about them. And that is, when you've scooped out most of the cookie dough and you're getting down towards the bottom of the bowl, somehow the chocolate chips have magically disappeared and all you have left is dough. After doing that for a lifetime, I finally decided I needed to change that outcome. After all, howcan you have chocolate chip cookies without chocolate chips?

So from that moment on, whenever I make chocolate chip cookies, I use about 1/2 of a bag of regular chocolate chips, about 1/2 of a bag of dark chocolate chips (they're usually a little larger) and about 1/2 of a bag of mini chocolate chips and mix it all up. And voila, amazingly, now every single cookie has chocolate chips in it!

Varying sizes of chocolate chipsVarying sizes of chocolate chips

Bon Appétit, Life is Good...

Butter, 1 cup of brown sugar 1/2 cup white sugarButter, 1 cup of brown sugar 1/2 cup white sugar

Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups All purpose flour

1 cup Brown Sugar

1/2 cup White Sugar

1 tspn Baking Soda

2 sticks Butter, salted

2 Eggs

2 tspns Vanilla

1 cup Chocolate Chips, semi sweet regular size

1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips, large

1 cup Chocolate Chips, min-semi sweet

Add the eggs and vanilla to the butter and sugarAdd the eggs and vanilla to the butter and sugar

Instructions:

-Preheat the oven to 350º

-Cream the butter and sugars together

-Add the egg and vanilla and stir until thoroughly incorporated

-Add the flour, then sift the baking soda over the top and mix it until there is no flour or baking soda visible.

-Add the chocolate chips and work them in until they are thoroughly incorporated.

Add the flour and sifted baking powder to the mixAdd the flour and sifted baking powder to the mix

-If you have time to let the dough rest, it's great if it can sit overnight in the fridge. If not, go ahead and grease a cookie sheet and either using a spoon, a scoop or your hands (depending on the size of the cookie you want), put the dough evenly across the sheet. Allow plenty of room for the cookies to expand.

-Bake no longer than 8-9 minutes on the middle to upper racks. Take them out and let them cool.

*Refrigerating the cookie dough allows the butter to cool, which means that the dough will expand more slowly when baking and your cookies will have some shape rather than be flatter than a pancake.

** Increasing the brown sugar and decreasing the white sugar, allows the cookies to be a little chewier.

Note all the chocolate chips in the last of the dough -Woohoo!Note all the chocolate chips in the last of the dough -Woohoo!

0 REPLIES 0