Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delicious Summer Cheat Treat!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_4366.png

I am one of those "Always make it from scratch" kinda gals.  It’s who I am and it’s what I do.  BUT (bet you heard that ‘but’ coming from a mile away) every once in a while, I find a product that I deem worthy of a ‘cheat’, though even then, I usually only use it as part of my solution.

And while I absolutely do things like roast a turkey, or bake cookies, cakes and pies during the summer months, I’m really not a hot weather kinda gal, so for me, sweltering summer months, definitely makes ‘cheating’ like this, all the more attractive.

This is one of those cakes that's a nice treat -be it served at an afternoon tea or for a delicious dessert on a warm summer’s eve. While it's sweet and rich enough to satisfy any sweet tooth, it's not decadent, which means on the 'guilt level' scale, I'd have to say it ranks right around a four, and that is a number I can definitely cope with.

But perhaps, one of the best things about this cake, is that it's very versatile so you can substitute all sorts of other ingredients to dress it up (or down) as fits the occasion.

IMG_4369.png

These photos feature a frozen Sara Lee pound cake, thawed and cut into three layers (full disclosure here, initially I cut it in half and afterwards decided I should have cut it into three layers, so the layers aren't particularly even). Then I divided the mascarpone cheese mixture and spread half of it evenly across the bottom layer, put the second layer on top and evenly spread the rest of the mascarpone on it, then placed the third layer on top. Afterwards I spread a raspberry topping over it and let it drip down the sides.

Quick, easy, versatile and delicious, this one is a definitely a summer time keeper!

IMG_4372.png

Filling:

2- 8 oz containers Mascarpone cheese

1/2 cup Confectioner's sugar, sifted

1 teaspoon Almond Extract

1/3 cup Mini chocolate chips

In a medium sized bowl, add; the Mascarpone, confectioner's sugar and extract together and using an electric mixer, blend them together well. Once they're well mixed, add the chocolate chips and, using a wooden spoon, incorporate them thoroughly into the cheese mixture.

Raspberry Topping:

12 oz Raspberries, fresh or frozen

1/4 cup Sugar

1/4 cup Water

Put the raspberries, sugar and water together into a pot and bring it to a boil. Once the mixture has come to a boil, turn it down to a simmer, until the raspberries have cooked down. Pour the raspberry mixture into a sieve, and, with a spoon, push the mixture through, thus allowing all the raspberry juice and pulp (sans the seeds), into a bowl. This mixture should be plenty thick enough, especially once it's cooled down. Either put it in the fridge until you're ready to serve the cake or float it on top of the cake and serve it immediately.

2 REPLIES 2

AndrewEatsEverything
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

@NoshwithNancy - I'm really loving all these recipes you're cranking out! No shame in using 'shortcut' ingredients, either, particularly with so many good versions available nowadays!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Awwww Thank you @AndrewEatsEverything, that's very kind of you!  And I agree about the shortcut ingredients -especially if it's hot, or they're a good quality, or you're just too bizzy for words, or you get a last minute invitation, or... ❤️