Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harvest Time Ratatouille

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Harvest Time RatatouilleHarvest Time Ratatouille

Summer is drawing to a close and with it comes an intense harvest. If you're lucky enough to have your own garden, you're probably starting to feel a little bit panicked about taking care of all that bounty before it goes bad. If you don't have your own garden I would suggest taking advantage of good sales either at your local grocery store or favorite Roadstand and buying beautifully fresh ingredients for things like delicious, hearty, low calorie, low carb ratatouille.

Beautiful Fresh IngredientsBeautiful Fresh IngredientsRatatouille originated in the Provence region of France and it is, for all intents and purposes, 'eggplant stew'. There are lots of methods of making it; Sauteing veggies either together or separately, slow roasting them either together or separately, or toss all the ingredients into a large pot then gently bring it to a simmer and let everything 'stew' until all the veggies are soft and the flavors are melded.Sauté the eggplant in olive oilSauté the eggplant in olive oil

For me, there isn't a right or wrong way to make ratatouille, rather, it's a matter of what you have time for and/or what your preference is regarding flavors: blended together or individual flavors making up a whole.

This is the recipe I made up the other night, I will absolutely do it again in the near future and perhaps, I'll try a different method the next time, but for now,

Bon Appétit, Life is Good...

Ingredients:

2 large Eggplant

2 smaller Zucchini

2 smaller Yellow Squash

4 large Tomatoes

4 medium Onions

6 large cloves Garlic

1/2 cup Olive Oil

1 Red Pepper

1 Green Pepper

1 Orange Pepper

1 yellow Pepper

12 Basil leaves, fresh

1 tspn Salt

3/4 tspn Pepper

Onions, garlic, peppers and slivered basilOnions, garlic, peppers and slivered basil

Instructions:

-Separately, dice the eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, onions and peppers. Mince the garlic, and sliver the basil leaves.

-Pour most of the olive oil in a large, heated pot and add the eggplant until it's softened. Remove the eggplant and add the zucchini and summer squash, cook until tender. Remove the summer squash and zucchini from the heat and add it to the eggplant.

- Add the onions, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and 2/3rds of the basil to to the pot and let it cook down until it's soft. Once that's done, add the eggplant, zucchini and summer squash back to the pot, give it a good stir, season with salt and pepper.

-Serve with bread or crackers and a garnish of slivered basil leaves.

2 REPLIES 2

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

@Irish-Cook40 @bluebird @I_love_recipes  @Ddonato1104 @sam-my_kitchen , you were looking for lots of veggies and/or Mediterranean diet stuff.

bluebird
Taster
Taster

yum!!