cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homemade Granola!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Homemade Granola with Vanilla Greek YogurtHomemade Granola with Vanilla Greek Yogurt

My mother was not a cook. To say that she was a lousy cook would almost be too kind. For her cooking was a necessary evil and one she really wished would go away, but because she had a family, cook she did, albeit with great reluctance. I would add, that while she did occasionally actually 'cook', most of the time she took the easy way out and opened up a can of something, or pulled a TV dinner or a frozen portion of something commercial out of the freezer. Breakfast was often cereal in a bowl with skim milk or a pouch of instant oats. If my dad had time, we might have eggs and toast or even occasionally, a 'real treat', pancake mix from a box!

Oats, walnuts, almonds and pecansOats, walnuts, almonds and pecans

I will never forget when I first tried granola. I was probably 14 at the time and I was at my friend Laura's house. I remember how, while there were plenty of loose grains and dried fruit, there were also lots of clumps of sweet, crunchy oats that tasted like a lumps of heaven to me. Forget putting it in a bowl, covered in milk, that stuff was soooooo good, I'd eat it right from the box!

At some point, Laura's mother suggested we try it mixed with yogurt and that's when I found my perfect breakfast food! It took me close to twenty years before I figured out that I could actually make granola, although why it hadn't occurred to me before that, I have no idea.

Water, sugar, oil & orange extractWater, sugar, oil & orange extract

Thankfully, my boys grew up eating homemade granola, and while I make several different varieties, this one is orange flavored granola.

Black raisins, white raisins, wild blueberries, cranberries, apricots & sour cherriesBlack raisins, white raisins, wild blueberries, cranberries, apricots & sour cherries

Please note that this recipe makes a gallon+ of granola -I know that sounds like a lot, but at the same time not really. Not if you have any amount of kids or granola lovers in your house. And if you keep it in an airtight container, it'll last a very long time!

Bake oats & nuts in syrup, stirring every 15minutes until golden brownBake oats & nuts in syrup, stirring every 15minutes until golden brown

Ingredients:

1- 42 oz container Oats

2 cups Nuts: Walnuts, almonds, pecans or hazelnuts chopped

1 cup Water

1-1/2 Sugar

1 cup Oil (I use Lefas olive oil, but whatever you like)

1 Tblspn Extract: i.e. Almond, Orange or Vanilla

2+ cups Dried fruit; raisins, cranberries, apricots, sour cherries, blueberries etc.

Once the oats are cooled, add the dried fruit and mix t thoroughlyOnce the oats are cooled, add the dried fruit and mix t thoroughly

Instructions:

-Put oats, nuts and seeds in a large bowl. Do NOT add dried fruit!!!

-In a pot, place water, sugar & oil, bring to a boil just long enough to melt the sugar.

-Add extract to the liquid & pour over the oat mixture and mix until all the oats are covered.

-Put approximately 1 inch of oat mixture in an un-greased pan and bake at 250º for @ 15 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven, mix oats thoroughly (to prevent burning) and place back in the oven, repeating this process 2 or 3 times.

-You want your oats golden brown and because I've found this is not an exact science, you have to pay attention towards the end.

-Once you're happy with the color of the oats, put them in a bowl to cool, and repeat the process until all your oats are gone. If you find that you've only got a small amount of oats left at the end, bake them for less time (try every 10 minutes between stirs) so they don't burn!

-Once the oats are completely cooled, add the dried fruit, mix it in well and store them in a clean, dry glass jar.

This like so many recipes, is opened to your taste! If you'd like it sweeter, add a more sugar, or try some brown sugar. If you'd rather use honey, by all means do so, but I'd cut down a little on the water and oil. If you don't want nuts or seeds, or want to change the flavor with different extracts, that's entirely up to you!

The one thing that should not change; ALWAYS add the dried fruit AFTER the oats are baked if you try putting it in before, it will burn!!!!!

Bon Appétit, Life is Good... ❤️

This is a 1 gallon jar and a 5 lb. honey jarThis is a 1 gallon jar and a 5 lb. honey jar

1 REPLY 1

CVZ
Taster
Taster

What seeds are used?