cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hors d'oeuvres -the staff of life!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

An entirely edible guitar cake in honor of the Dripping Springs, TX songwriter's Fest.An entirely edible guitar cake in honor of the Dripping Springs, TX songwriter's Fest.

Need hors d'oeuvres ideas for the upcoming holidays?  Recently, I had the great pleasure and privilege of being invited to Austin, TX to record an album at my friend Bill's studio. While I was there, the Dripping Springs Songwriter's Festival was taking place and because Bill was a sponsor, we went to the opening event. Each songwriter got to play one song that night as a means of introduction, and as the audience was sitting at tables listening, we were also treated to all sorts of hors d'oeuvres being served.

Baguette w/ roast beef, horseradish sour cream, topped with radishes and chiveBaguette w/ roast beef, horseradish sour cream, topped with radishes and chive

Everybody has their own idea of what 'food' is. For some it's meat and potatoes, forStuffed mushrooms with scallionsStuffed mushrooms with scallions others it's sweets, I know some who prefer fast food (ack!), there are those who must have salad and two veggies with their dinners, or if it's not vegan they're not eating, and the list goes on. For me? While I really love all kinds of foods, my favorite is hors d'oeuvres. I think that's because there is such a wide array of things to try, new flavors, different combinations, things that look incredible and I'm always interested in trying new things!

Tomato, Mozzarella, Olive, topped with balsamic vinegar and herbsTomato, Mozzarella, Olive, topped with balsamic vinegar and herbs

Pulled pork w/ slaw in a mini phyllo cupPulled pork w/ slaw in a mini phyllo cup  Unfortunately, I was fighting a cold, and when I've got a cold, if I eat any dairy at all, I'll lose my voice for weeks, which would have defeated the purpose of my being there, so I didn't get a chance to sample much, but the little I did try was delicious!

I snapped some photos of some of the beautiful treats, though I should mention here that some of those hors d'oeuvres looked so appetizing, there were several people who scarfed things up just as they came out of the kitchen.

Deviled eggs with lox and capersDeviled eggs with lox and capersThe culmination of the event was the cake -that looked just like a guitar and I'mBrie, apricot preserves in mini phyllo cupsBrie, apricot preserves in mini phyllo cups told all of it was edible -incredible!

You can bet I'm going to try to get back there next year -both for the music and the food!

Cucumber slices topped with dill yogurt, shrimp and chili sauceCucumber slices topped with dill yogurt, shrimp and chili sauce

Life is Good... ❤️

4 REPLIES 4

SnacksNSneakers
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow-those photos all look delicious! And that edible guitar is out of this world!

OMGosh @SnacksNSneakers, it broke my heart not to be able to try everything, but I couldn't and there you have it.  However, the couple of things I did try, were truly delicious!  And that cake?  Wish I'd had a chance to try that too, because it was outrageous!  Another time... ❤️

Dulke
Junior Chef IV
Junior Chef IV

I agree, and none of the appetizers is that hard to make. Definitely some good ideas.

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Exactly @Dulke, nothing too difficult, and most of them quick and easy, but, I think it's nice to have ideas right in front of you -because there are times when our brains go blank (OK, maybe it's just my brain 😆), having the reminder can really help! ❤️