Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Luscious Roasted Peppers

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_4319.png

As the mother of four (large) boys, a caterer, an award winning cookbook author and a Shaws employee, you can bet I am a foodie. Which means that when I scan the sales flyers for deals, my brain often puts ingredients together and I start planning things to make with various and sundry ingredients.

Take for instance the week when peppers were .97¢ each. I looked at them and thought, "A colorful pot of sausage and peppers?" And as fast as that thought went through my head, my next thought was, "Sure, but what I'd really like to have is a big jar of roasted peppers soaking in olive oil!"

And so, one day after work, I purchased three of every color pepper and got down to business. I washed the peppers, put them on veggie racks on my grill, roasted them on a low heat until they were blistered on all sides, and then put them in a bowl and let them cool.  Afterwards, I peeled off the skin (it comes off easily), sliced them up and put them in a clean, half gallon mason jar, poured really nice olive oil over them, than stuck them in the fridge.

IMG_4298.png

"What the heck do you do with all those roasted peppers?" you might reasonably ask. My answer? I use them in dishes such as homemade pizza, I pair them with chicken and pesto, smothered in provolone cheese on a ciabatta or coarse bread for a delicious, colorful Panini. I love to incorporate them into pasta salad with ripe olives, piquant marinated artichoke hearts, some red onion and feta cheese, or pureed and added to sour cream and a little smoked paprika for dip. They're wonderful on burgers combined with candied jalapenos, or added to shrimp scampi with sliced mushrooms sauteed in butter, and even used them to top a piece of avocado toast for breakfast.

While they are super easy to make and very versatile and delicious in all sorts of recipes, I would have to say, one of the best ways to eat them is with a fork...

IMG_4316.png

2 REPLIES 2

cookies-not-kale
Community Manager
Community Manager

@NoshwithNancy I LOVE this idea. I did something similar with garlic yesterday - I roasted the garlic over the stove with olive oil, thyme, rosemary, and chili flakes.  I’ve put it in a mason jar to use with pasta, grilled cheese, garlic bread, etc the next time I’m cooking!

3CE759E2-B6A5-4D29-83EF-D29EE2A24408.jpeg

OMGosh cookies-not-kale, that looks AMAZING!  I know this is going to sound weird, but... in my minds eye I can smell the aroma of garlic, olive oil and thyme, rosemary and chili flakes they are simmering, the scent wafting through your kitchen, and have no doubts that it's going to be a FABULOUS addition to anything you use it in -well, maybe not so good with chocolate cake, but EVERYTHING ELSE -I'm gonna have to give that a go! ❤️