Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Asparagus Discovery

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_4395.png

Far be it from me to cause trouble, especially with age old wisdom, but...

But for as long as I can remember, I've been told that small (read thin) stalks of asparagus are much more tender than their larger, plumper brethren.

While I live in Vermont, I could easily be counted amongst the good people of Missouri because I surely share their attitude of, "Show me"! Which means, that years ago, I did the experiment and cooked skinny asparagus along side fat asparagus and tried them. Amazingly, I discovered that the bigger, fatter asparagus was more tender than the skinny stuff.

When it came up in conversation, I told people of my discovery and they smiled very kind smiles that didn't quite hide the fact they thought my brains had somehow gotten addled. And so I kept my discovery mostly to myself, all the while wondering if I had gotten it all wrong?

Then just the other day, asparagus was on sale and there were definite differences in the bunches. As I was standing in the produce department, eyeing the asparagus, I was telling our produce manager about my find. He too, smiled kindly at me, and gently said, "Oh really? I find that the smaller stuff is more tender."

Well that did it. I decided it was high time that as an older and more experienced cook, I try my experiment again, so I purchased several bunches of asparagus some big, some small, went home and made them for dinner.

I cut the tough ends off of all of them, I steamed them side by side in the same pot at the same time, being careful not to over cook them, took them out at the same time and not only did I try them, I asked my boys to try them side by side as well.

I am delighted to be able to say that I still think bigger, fatter asparagus is more tender, and so did my boys.

I'd love to hear your experiences -and yes it's really OK to have a difference of opinion.  Oh, and if you have the time, I'd love to hear about your favorite asparagus recipe!

Always remember, the recipe for a happy life is to eat, drink and be merry...

3 REPLIES 3

Megs-n-Cheese
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have always wondered this and am so thankful that you put it to the test! Thank you!!!

Awwww Megs-n-Cheese, so happy to oblige!  I'm one of those who REALLY wants to know and so I do all kinds of testing and experimenting!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Awww Megs-n-Cheese, I'm happy to oblige!  I'm one of those who really wants to KNOW and I DON'T take other people's word for it, rather I do the experiments myself!