Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rosé Strawberries -A TREAT!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_4443.png

I was walking through the store about to go home, when Jack walked up to me and said, "Did you see? Did you see them?" I had no idea what he was talking about, until he said, "The Rosé strawberries? They look weird, but I'm really interested in trying them! Although I think I'm gonna wait another day or two until they're a little more ready."

A minute later Lee saw me and said, "OMGosh, did you see them? We got some Rosé strawberries in and they look, well, Jack and I have decided to buy a box and try them!" But as I had an appointment and was running late, I didn't even stop to look -which is unusual for me.

I was in the next day and I had just finished picking an order, when Patrick said, "Hey Nancy, have you seen those Rosé strawberries? We just got them in!"

Which of course meant I had to go over right then and there and take a look. And you know what? Jack was right, they do look weird! Actually they are very pale, as in, almost white, and look for all intents and purposes, like anemic, unripe strawberries. Except the ones that are vaguely pink, they look like you need to give them another week to ten days and then maybe, they'll be ripe enough to eat!

But once I saw them, I knew I had to try them. And so I bought a box. Whereupon, I shared them with Patrick and Noah, (neither Jack or Lee were in that day). I took a white one and it was...good. Really good. A little weird, but seriouslygood! And because I am an enquiring mind and I want to know all things food, I also tried a slightly pink one which turned out to be very tart, obviously unripe with almost no strawberry flavor.

Do you know how kumquats are counterintuitive, with their skin being so sweet and their flesh so tart? Well so to, are Rosé strawberries counterintuitive -the whiter, more anemic looking berries, are so much sweeter and have MUCH MORE flavor than the pinker ones! And the whiter ones taste more like traditional strawberries -though with an interesting, wonderful twist -and one which, try as I might, I can't even begin to explain.

And FTR, the Driscoll company (the only company that offers them) emphatically says these babies are not genetically modified, rather they are hybrids.

My suggestion is if you love strawberries (and I do) you should run, not walk, buy a package and try them. Trust this foodie when she says, they are truly terrific!

Bon Appétit...

0 REPLIES 0