Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tea Party Scones

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_5071.png

Every year, for the past 11 years, two of the people dearest to me throw a BIG party in August due to the fact that three of their six children were born in the 8th month, and rather than have individual parties, they just give one whopper of a party, invite everybody they know and call it a day!

IMG_5046.pngIt's a BBQ and a potluck and it starts sometime during the afternoon. But every year since they've started this tradition, in honor of their one and only daughter, the festivities actually start at noon with a 'proper' tea party, cucumber sandwiches and all! And every single year since they've started this tradition, it's been my job to bring scones and homemade lemon curd for the tea party. And this year was no different.

Chop the walnuts and cranberriesChop the walnuts and cranberriesWhile I've had plenty of scones that were rolled and cut, I find they tend to be a little dry, so I prefer drop scones like these. They're quick, easy, delicious and go wonderfully with all kinds of toppings!

Lemon Scones:

2-1/2 cups All Purpose Flour

3 Tblspns Sugar

1 Tblspn Baking Powder, sifted

8 Tblspns Butter, cubed

1 Egg, scrambled

3/4 cup Milk

1/2 cup Nuts, chopped

1/2 cup Dried Cranberries

1 tspn Vanilla

*1 tspn Lemon Extract

The size of a grapefruit before you tear pieces off of it for individual sconesThe size of a grapefruit before you tear pieces off of it for individual scones

Instructions:

-Preheat the oven to 425º

-In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.

-Using a pastry blender, add the butter and work it in until it's the size of coarse meal or split peas.

-Add the nuts and dried cranberries and whisk them evenly throughout the dough

-Add the milk, egg and extracts and with a sturdy spoon, mix it together until the ingredients form a ball. If there're any straggling pieces, pat them in with your hands.

-On an ungreased cookie sheet, pull the dough apart evenly; 16 pieces if you want small scones, 12 if you'd like medium sized scones and 8 if you're looking for large scones.

-Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until the tips are golden brown.

Serve with butter, lemon curd and love

Bon Appétit, Life is Good...

*I used lemon extract in these scones because I was pairing them with lemon curd, but you can just as easily use straight vanilla, orange, almond or even maple extract.

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewEatsEverything
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

As someone with an August birthday (and a soft spot for scones and tea!), I love the idea of this tradition! 

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Well Happy Birthday @AndrewEatsEverything thank you and I would have to say there are certainly worse traditions,  Lord knows I'm with you, love scones and tea! ❤️

Thanks @NoshwithNancy! You've inspired me to make these scones for my birthday this year 🙂 

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

YAY!!!  I hope you enjoy them!  And if lemon curd isn't your things, they're really lovely with raspberry preserves... ❤️