cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tender, fall off the bone, ribs!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Racks of ribs roasted 6+ hours in a low slow oven with homemade BBQ sauce just before being brushed evenly across the ribs.Racks of ribs roasted 6+ hours in a low slow oven with homemade BBQ sauce just before being brushed evenly across the ribs.

September in Vermont, is still absolutely spectacular! A many of the trees are just starting to turn with sprays of vivid color in a section or two, pumpkins are making an appearance as well as the last of the wild flowers in shades of yellow and purple, and we frequently have an Indian Summer in full swing, high's in the mid sixties, bright sunshine, with not too many bugs, which made it the perfect time to host a barbeque.

Mid-September the sugar maples are just starting to turnMid-September the sugar maples are just starting to turn

I needed to host a barbeque because I owed an awful lot of truly wonderful people a great big debt of gratitude and I'd been trying to get this done for a year. But between lousy (read snowy, icy) weather, and everybody's hectic schedule, it was a year before we could get everybody together.

Figuring out what to serve was another story and something I had to think about, because a lot of these people also happen to be fabulous cooks and I surely did not want to embarrass myself in front of them.

Racks of ribs laid side by side lengthwise in a large roasting panRacks of ribs laid side by side lengthwise in a large roasting pan

Some of what I took into consideration is that I knew that I wanted to have plenty of food, but not overdo it (these days I'm not feeding as many as I once did, so while I want a good amount of leftovers, I don't want so many they become science experiments).

Mid-September wild flowersMid-September wild flowers   I took stock in the kinds of things I could serve and decided that while I love chicken, it takes a long time to cook on a grill (you've gotta cook it low and slow on a grill or it burns) and I wanted to be able to enjoy my guests, not be a slave to the grill.  I also considered sausages, but reluctantly decided against them and I absolutely loath hotdogs, so I went with a big charcuterie, a large bowl of fresh salsa with lots of crunchy corn chips, big, fat, juicy cheddar burgers and melt in your mouth ribs with a sweet & tangy homemade maple barbecue sauce and a few sides to round it out.

Wild Astors adding their two cents...Wild Astors adding their two cents...

I am really happy to report that a good time was had by all and that these very wonderful people and knowledgable foodies not only enjoyed the food, they even took some home with them! I'd have to say that was a good sign and that all's well that ends well!

Bon Appétit, Life is Good... ❤️

Melt in your mouth ribs served with corn on the cob and a caprese salad .Melt in your mouth ribs served with corn on the cob and a caprese salad .

Ingredients:

2 rack St. Louis Ribs

2 pinches Salt

12 grinds Black Pepper

Enough Water to make approximately 1/2" in the bottom of the pan

Instructions:

-Salt and pepper, one side of the ribs.

-Put them in a pan large enough to allow their full length and put enough water in to make about 1/2 inch.

-Cover with a tight cover (the top of the pan or tinfoil) and bake at 275º for six hours.

-Take out and either use them right away or let them cool and put in the fridge until you're ready to use them.

-If you're using them as soon as they come out of the oven, put them on the grill and slather some BBQ sauce on the top. Let them cook for about 5 minutes, flip them and slather the other side with BBQ sauce. Do that one full rotation, take off the grill and serve.

-If you're using them another day, take them out of the fridge an hour or two and let them warm up to room temperature before putting them on the grill.

-Go ahead and brush just a little more sauce on the top of the ribs before serving, it adds a touch of freshness and makes them glisten!

0 REPLIES 0