cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrific Blue Cheese Dressing -no kidding!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

All the ingredients, but be sure to use a fresh lemon!All the ingredients, but be sure to use a fresh lemon!

Newly married, we were on the road and heading towards Alaska and our dreams. After having been on the road a few days, we were a little road weary from living out of the back of a pickup truck -under a cap, not in a truck camper.

Make sure to start with mayo first and stir it until it's smooth or you'll have lumps of mayo in your dressing!Make sure to start with mayo first and stir it until it's smooth or you'll have lumps of mayo in your dressing!

There we were, driving across route two along the northern tier of the country, it was about five o'clock on a Saturday evening and we'd just come on the small town of Floodwood, MN when my husband made the comment, "Im craving a prime rib dinner right now!" No sooner were the words out of his mouth when we passed a restaurant by the side of a road with a sign outside that said, "Saturday night Prime Rib Dinner special $9.99!"

It took all of about twenty seven seconds for him to find a place to turn around and in no time we were seated in a neat little place with the pretty waitress asking us what kind of dressing we'd like on our salads. Without hesitation, he answered, "Blue Cheese please!" And against my better judgment I ordered the same thing. You see, while my husband loved blue cheese dressing, I'd never had a good one and as far as I was concerned, it was gross. But he loved it so much, he asked me at one point if I would make it for him. The the thing was, I'd never had good blue cheese dressing and so I didn't have a blueprint to pattern to.

Add all the rest of the ingredients, with the exception of the blue cheese to make sure the flavor of the base is delicious!Add all the rest of the ingredients, with the exception of the blue cheese to make sure the flavor of the base is delicious!When our waitress brought our salads, we dug in -and Holy Crow, I am here to tell you that dressing was terrific! Finally, a great blue cheese dressing! We asked her what was in it, and she wouldn't tell us everything, but she did give us a couple of hints and so, I went to work and came up with a recipe my family (and friends) really enjoys -and they enjoy it so much, I couldn't even begin to give you a yield on this, because as far as my boys are concerned, you can just give them a spoon and they'll eat it that way! Ah well, if that's the worst of it we're blessed!

Once the base is well balanced, add your favorite kind of blue cheese, I prefer Danish BleuOnce the base is well balanced, add your favorite kind of blue cheese, I prefer Danish Bleu

Bon Appétit, Life is Good... ❤️

Ingredients:

1 Cup Mayo, well mixed

1 lb. Sour Cream

4 teaspoons Sugar (1T +1t)

*1/2 Lemon, juiced and seeds taken out

1 teaspoon Garlic granules -not Garlic salt

12 Turns Pepper, mill

**4 oz -1/2 Cup Blue Cheese

Instructions:

-In a bowl, add Mayo and mix until smooth.

-Add Sour Cream & incorporate thoroughly

-Add the Sugar, Lemon Juice, Garlic Granules & Pepper and mix thoroughly.

-Add the Blue Cheese and incorporate.

-Allow dressing to sit for an hour or over night before serving.

Things to know: Check to see that you like the 'balance' of the base of the dressing (sugar to lemon juice ratio for instance) before adding the blue cheese. Doing it this way makes it easier to know what, if anything, you might want to adjust because once you've added the blue cheese, it makes it a harder to identify an issue. When you're satisfied with the base, the Blue Cheese will be the proverbial icing on the cake!

*Use an honest-to-goodness lemon, do not use lemon juice from a bottle, it alters the flavor and it's not as good.

**While I've used any number of varieties of blue cheese depending on availability and cost, all blue cheese is not created equally! The one I've found I like by far the best is Danish Bleu. It's got a lovely blue flavor that comes through without being harsh and the texture is truly creamy and smooth!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

passthesauce
Junior Chef V [Associate]

@NoshwithNancy this looks amazing! I will often cook dairy-free but the variety of products has improved so much over the years I should be able to make this one! They do make bottled dairy free dressing, and it is ok, but this recipe looks ideal!

5 REPLIES 5

passthesauce

@NoshwithNancy this looks amazing! I will often cook dairy-free but the variety of products has improved so much over the years I should be able to make this one! They do make bottled dairy free dressing, and it is ok, but this recipe looks ideal!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Oh @passthesauce, nice, I hope it turns out well and that you enjoy it!  I'd like to hear what you think because it had never occurred to me to make a dairy free blue cheese dressing! ❤️

passthesauce

I finally got around to making a dairy-free version of this! It was incredible!!! I just subbed in df sour cream and blue cheese and it worked great!

The first night we had it on a salad with turkey smash patties. 

I served the leftovers with hot wings a few nights later. SOOOO tasty!turkey smash patties on mixed greens with blue cheese dressing, apples, and pecansturkey smash patties on mixed greens with blue cheese dressing, apples, and pecansblue cheese dressing before adding the cheeseblue cheese dressing before adding the cheeseblue cheese dressing with cheeseblue cheese dressing with cheese

Awwww @passthesauce, so glad it worked out well for you! ❤️