cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekend Steak Dinner (plus bonus wine pairing!)

AndrewEatsEverything
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Sometimes, you just need a steak. And when the craving hits me, I use it as an opportunity to pair it with a couple of side dishes and a nice bottle of wine. 

Recently, I made a New York Strip Steak with Miso-Garlic Potatoes, Asparagus & Cherry Pepper Aioli. Here's how I did it:

I whipped up a quick miso butter using white miso paste, softened butter, and some fresh garlic. I boiled the potatoes until fork-tender. 

While the potatoes were boiling, I pan-seared my steak to medium-rare (~135F if you're using a thermometer!) in my trusty cast-iron skillet. When done, I transferred the steak to a plate and let it rest under foil until ready to serve. 

I re-used the same skillet for the potatoes (no point in getting two skillets dirty!). I melted the miso butter in it, then added the boiled potatoes, sautéing until golden and crisp at the edges, about 5 minutes. To finish, I stirred a small handful of chopped chives into the skillet.  

As the potatoes were sautéing, I steamed my asparagus until bright green, 2-3 minutes. 

Just before serving, I made the aioli: I diced up some pickled sliced cherry peppers and placed in a bowl along with mayo, salt, pepper, and a dash of the pickling liquid. Stir and voilà - instant aioli.  

All that was left was to slice the steak and plate up! 

IMG_1522.jpg

To pair with the steak, I opted for a bottle of Penfold's St. Henri Shiraz (2016 vintage). Whilst this wine could probably age for another 10-15 years, I just couldn't wait. (About 4 hours before I started cooking, I pulled the cork and let the wine breathe until it was time to serve.)

For anyone not familiar with Penfold's, they are arguably Australia's most successful winery, specializing in Shiraz, and Cabernet Sauvignon. 

Here are the notes I took on the wine:  Lots of dense blue and black fruit (think blueberry, blackcurrant, mulberry, etc.) There were notes of mocha, toast (from the oak), graphite (think pencil shavings), and some beautifully integrated spices. Complex but accessible, this was really an absolute treat. 

IMG_1519.jpgIMG_1520.jpg

All in all, this was a great pairing and something I'd try again!

What are everyone's go-to food & wine pairings??

4 REPLIES 4

SnacksNSneakers
Community Manager
Community Manager

Everything about this meal and wine looks amazing! And thanks for the wine suggestion and the details notes-I'll have to track down a bottle and try it soon.

Thanks @SnacksNSneakers ! Even though they're an Australian winery, Penfolds also make wine from some vineyards in CA that's worth checking out:

https://www.penfolds.com/en-us/our-wines/ranges/california-collection 

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

OMGosh @AndrewEatsEverything, it sounds and looks delicious.  Hmmmmmm, thinking I'm gonna have to give it a whirl -all of it.  Thanks for the inspiration! ❤️

Let me know how it goes! The inspiration for the potatoes comes from this recipe:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/miso-y-grilled-potatoes