Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zucchini, Summer Squash, Onion, Sausage, Cheese Galette

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_4895.png

It's late. Much to late for dinner, but that's the way things are going in my life these days. I'm way to busy, my boys are working long hours and don't get home until almost dark. Combined with sometimes I'm too optimistic, not remembering that some things just take longer than I think they should.

IMG_4885.png

But, it's so worth it, even if it is late. OMGosh, what a treat for the senses. The aroma of garlic, basil, onion, olive oil and fresh dough baking is filling my home.

I was telling someone I am acquainted with about Sincerely-Food and she went and checked us out. She said, she loved it, then requested that I post a recipe using zucchini/crook neck squash because she (like me) has a plethora of it this time of year and is looking for ideas.

IMG_4887.pngSo I decided to make a galette with zucchini/yellow squash/onion topping a multi-cheese and sausage filling.

And now my house smells amazing.

IMG_4889.png

Full disclosure, I was going to make this galette round, but my cookie sheet wasn't big enough and so I went rectangular with thoughts of Sicilian pizza floating around in my head. But that works. And it's OK to think outside the box and to be inventive -long as it tastes (and smells) this good.

Can't wait for the finished product.

IMG_4892.png

Galette Dough:

2 cups All purpose Flour

12 Tblspns Butter, salted

1/2 cup Sour Cream

3 Tblspns Lemon Juice

1/3 cup Water

IMG_4891.png

Make dough: Put the flour in a large bowl. Quarter the butter, then cut it in small pieces. Add the butter to the flour,and using a pastry blender, cut it in until the mixture resembles coarse meal, with the butter approximately pea size.

In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice and water and add this to the butter-flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the liquid until it loosely resembles a ball. Then, using your hands gather the loose pieces and form the dough into a ball; being careful not overwork the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Filling Ingredients:
2 largish Zucchinis

1 largish Yellow SquashIMG_4888.png

1 med Onion, sliced thin
cup Ricotta Cheese

6 oz Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded

1 Tblspn Basil leaves, slivered

1 lb. Sweet Italian Sausage

1 Egg White

1 Tblspn Olive Oil

@1/4 tspn Cayenne Pepper

@3/4 tspn Salt

1/2 tspn Pepper

1 tspn Garlic Granules

IMG_4893.png

Filling Instructions:

Slice the zucchini and yellow squash into 1/4 inch thick rounds (I use a mandolin slicer for consistency)

Spread the zucchini out over several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let drain for 30 minutes; gently blot the tops of the zucchini dry with paper towels before using.

*Cook the sausage and then crumble it, put it aside.

In a large bowl, mix the ricotta, Parmesan and sausage, cayenne, salt and pepper.

Glaze:
Egg yolk beaten

1 tspn Water

Prepare Galette: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

On a floured work surface, roll the dough out into approximately 16 inch circle, square or rectangle

Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet (though lining it with parchment paper, will make it easier to transfer it to a plateor platter later).

Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the bottom of the galette dough, leaving a 2-inch border.

Arrange the zucchini, yellow squash and onions attractively on top of the ricotta either in rows or concentric circles.

Brush the olive oil evenly over the top then sprinkle the garlic granules on it.

Fold the border over the filling, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open.

Brush the crust with egg yolk glaze.

Bake on the second to lowest rack for approximately 45 minutes or until the crust is a lovely brown.

Take it out of the oven, sprinkle the top with basil and it sit for a few minutes before serving.

*If you are using link sausages, take the sausage out of the casing while it's raw (it's easier that way) and cook it that way so you can 'crumble it' yourself. 

Bon Appétit -Life is good! ❤️

1 REPLY 1

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

And here's another zucchini/summer squash recipe @sam-my_kitchen... ❤️