Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zucchini/Yellow Squash Boats

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_5034.png

I'm pretty sure there isn't a gardener anywhere on this earth, who, if they grow zucchini or summer squash, at some point during the growing season, is so over run with them, that, after eating it for 6 meals in a row, they're ready to sneak out in the middle of the night to leave some on an unsuspecting neighbor's doorstep, just to get rid of it all!

IMG_5003.png

And not long ago, I had someone say, "I've got yellow squash coming out my ears, do you have any good recipes for it?" To which I said, "Yes Ma'am, as a matter of fact I do!" So for those of you who are suffering this same malady, this is the second recipe I'm sharing, the first one was a zucchini galette.

I hope you enjoy this and that it helps!

IMG_5027.png

Ingredients:

6 Zucchini, Yellow Squash -or both

2 Medium Onions

6 Cloves, Garlic

2 Tblspns Olive Oil

4 Roma Tomatoes

3 cups Italian Bread Crumbs

2 Eggs, scrambled

1 lb. Sausage

1-8 oz Seriously Sharp Cheddar

2 pinches Salt

scant tspn Pepper

IMG_5028.png

Instructions:

- Cut the zucchini/summer squash in half lengthwise, and, using a spoon or melon-baller, scoop out the center of the squash, thus making vessels or 'boats' from the outside of the zucchini/squash. Put the scooped out insides into a large bowl and set it aside.

-Cook a pound of ground sausage (you can use link sausage, but if you do, I would take the casings off, squash it down and cook it that way) until it's cooked but not dry.

-Meanwhile, chop the onions, garlic and insides of the zucchini/summer squash, then, using the olive oil, put them in a large skillet and let them cook until the onions are soft, but not brown. Transfer that mixture to the large bowl you had the raw zucchini flesh in.

IMG_5030.png

-Chop the tomatoes and the cooked sausage and stir it in with the with zucchini/onion/garlic mixture.

-Add the bread crumbs and eggs, mixing them in thoroughly.

-Grate the cheese (I use Cabot's Seriously Sharp because it's sharp enough to cut through the rest of the flavors and add to the mixture, rather than get lost in it), salt and pepper, and, using your hands, make sure that the mixture is really well blended.

IMG_5032.png

-Place the zucchini/squash shells on a cookie sheet, then stuff the filling into the 'boats' and bake at 350º for about an hour and 15 minutes, or until the outside of the boats are soft.

-Serve immediately.

*One of the things I really like about this recipe is that it's a good way to use up leftovers veggies, for instance, if you have leftover corn, peppers or cauliflower, go ahead and throw it into the mix.

Bon Appétit, Life is Good... ❤️

1 REPLY 1

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

@sam-my_kitchenHave you ever made these before?  They're terrific and they're as versatile as the ingredients you have! ❤️