Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Joy of Simple Egg Salad

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_4948.png

Some time ago I was standing in line waiting my turn in a deli when I overheard a conversation as the older gentlemen in front of me said to the woman behind the counter, "I don't want anything too heavy, what I'd really like is something simple like egg salad. You don't happen to have egg salad do you?" This gentlemen reminded me a lot of my dad who grew up during the depression and told us stories of hard times and shortages which got me to thinking.

IMG_1672.pngFor those of you who don't know me, I am a serious, 'foodie'. For instance, I love all things pesto with it's garlicky, earthy flavor, or things like roasted peppers dripping in a delicate olive oil. I love just about anything, 'avocado' or guacamole with its rich, vaguely sweet, smooth taste and texture and Lord knows I'm always up for trying something new and different.

But there was something about the request for simple egg salad that struck me and has stayed with me. It makes me think of simpler times, when mothers made a lot of egg salad because eggs were relatively cheap, and because it was both a good way to fill the gap in their family's bellies as well as a good way to nourishment their children. I can picture kids sitting outside on a wooden bench on a warm summers day, their legs swinging back and forth, watching the world go by and eating an egg salad sandwich ~especially during the depression, when egg salad was no doubt a treat for many!!!

IMG_1671.pngWe've upped the bar. Thankfully, food has been plentiful, the huge influx of new and exciting ingredients has been amazing, and the fabulous dishes we've made with all the 'new' textures and flavors truly a marvel!

But that someone appreciated the simplicity of something like egg salad makes me feel that all is right in the world.

Bon Appétit -Life is good...

IMG_4731.png

There are all kinds of ways to make egg salad. Meaning, there are all kinds of things you can add to gussy it up -celery, pickles, onions, dill, curry, mustard. This recipe is pretty plain in comparison, with just a little bit of flavor enhancement.

6 Eggs, hardboiled

1/3-1/2 cup Mayo

1/2 tspn Onion Powder

1/4 tspn Garlic Powder

1/2 tspn Sugar

Pinch Salt

1/4 tspn Pepper

Peel and chop the eggs (I use a pastry blender, but I know people who use a Cuisinart to chop it) into a medium sized bowl.

Add the mayo, and the rest of the ingredients, then gently combine the mixture. Refrigerate.

8 REPLIES 8

BallHill
Taster
Taster

Needs a teaspoon or so of mustard, imo. 

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Actually @BallHill, I would agree, I like all kinds of things in my egg salad (I mention a few different possibilities in the notes just above the recipe given) but this one is meant to be very simple -and so it is! ❤️

FloraFaunaLuvr
Home Chef
Home Chef

Sometimes the simplest of foods are the most satisfying and comforting. 

I absolutely agree @FloraFaunaLuvr, especially foods that take you back to better, simpler times.  Now THAT is what I consider comfort! ❤️