cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Doesn't LOVE Homemade Billowy Whipped Cream?

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_2884.png

My son has a dog named Bear, who is half beagle and half rottie. Bear and his dad had come to dinner one night last week. I'd made a nice dinner and then I served desert -deep chocolate mousse, covered in fluffy, homemade whipped cream.

And because I am the kind of 'mother' I am, I made sure I gave Bear a big dollop of whipped cream to lick off my finger for desert.

IMG_2232.png

At which point his daddy said, "Bear, you're a too fat dog, you don't need desert!" I shouted him down at that, because Bear is anything but fat!

And that's when his daddy said, "Oh yeah? Well in the last couple of weeks he's eaten not one but three boxes of donuts, 2 lbs. of hamburger and 9 sticks of butter -yeah he really loves butter! And on top of it, I came home one day to find him standing, ALL FOUR FEET on my kitchen table!"

I know it's naughty of him. I know I shouldn't laugh, rather I know I should be outraged at his behavior -but instead, I snuck him another dollop of whipped cream, because, well, because you only live once.

And for the record? I totally understand about the butter...

BILLOWY WHIPPED CREAM

There are few pleasures that are as simple and easy as a bowl of billowy whipped cream, freshly made that boasts some good vanilla and a little confectioners’ sugar! And the thing is, not only is it the perfect topping to so many desserts, but it’s also a wonderful ingredient!

I’ve been shocked over the years to learn how many people I know who have never had homemade whipped cream, forget knowing how to make it! I find that quite amazing actually because homemade whipped cream is 1) super easy to make, and 2) far superior to anything you can buy that’s premade!

A couple of the people who had never had homemade whipped cream even pooh-poohed me when I said something about how it tastes so much better; that is, until I gave them a spoonful. Funny thing, literally (and I mean literally) the moment they tried the real stuff, they sang a different tune!

Yields approximately 2 scant cups

Ingredients:

1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 level teaspoons confectioners’ sugar

Instructions:

Using a mixer (I use a hand mixer), beat the heavy cream in a high-sided stainless steel or glass bowl, on medium speed until it starts to thicken just a little.

Slowly add the vanilla extract.

Sift the confectioners’ sugar into the heavy cream mixture and continue to beat until the cream develops a soft, billowy texture.

Homemade whipped cream is best served immediately. It will also keep in the refrigerator for a few days in a sealed containerif you can keep your hands off it.

TipWhile it may be tempting to beat the heavy cream on high speed to make things go faster, keeping your mixer on medium speed is a much better way to make whipped cream. The reason for this (in a nutshell) is because by beating the cream, you are causing air bubbles to get trapped in fat molecules. If you beat the cream at high speed, while the fat molecules (which are somewhat fragile) fill up faster, they also deflate faster. It’s far better to beat the cream at a medium setting.

0 REPLIES 0