cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's Talk Antioxidants

breis14
Community Manager
Community Manager

Antioxidants - they’re associated with everything from reduced cancer risk to slower aging. I've done a little research to find out what exactly these are and how I can make sure my family and I are getting enough of them!  

Veggies and Plants:

Citrus, strawberries, bell peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes, and dark leafy greens are some examples of produce rich in antioxidant vitamin C, vitamin E / beta-carotene.  Antioxidant phytochemicals give color to plants, so the more colors you eat, the greater variety of antioxidants you’re getting. Pigmented grains such as black or red rice are good too.  Thankfully, my 5-year-old son loves to see a lot of color on his plate!   

Nuts:

Brazil and other nuts and seeds like almonds and sunflower are also great sources of vitamin E. I've been sprinkling these on salads and putting dried fruit (also a good source of fiber) in my son's lunch box.

Drink It In:

Black and green teas are rich in antioxidants.  Believe it or not, coffee is too. Cranberry, grape and cherry juices are antioxidant-rich choices as well. Matcha, a type of green tea made from powdered tea leaves, is a particularly rich source. If you or your little ones don’t like the taste, try adding a little to yogurts or smoothies.  If your adult beverage of choice is a glass of red wine, rest easy knowing it contains the antioxidant resveratrol (by the way, so do peanuts and berries).  

1 REPLY 1

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

And all really great stuff @breis14, thanks for the reminder! ❤️