cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spice up your life

TricityTracy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Discover and taste what the world has to offer by using spices and herbs.

When it comes to spices and herbs, they have a significant function in food seasoning rather than nutrition and are defined as plant derived substances that add flavor to any dish. The word spice is a general term used for dried flavoring.

Where do they come from and what is the difference between spices and herbs?

Spices can come from plant parts like roots, stems, flowers, rhizomes, fruits, and dried bark.

Herbs are usually non- woody plant the leafy part of the plant These are sold either dried or fresh.

Many spices are available in both whole and ground forms. Ground spices lose their aroma and flavor more quickly, so be careful not to buy them in bulk. For best quality, keep your ground spices and dried herbs fresh by simply storing them in a glass, airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 3 years and whole spices for 2 to 4 years.

Go ahead and get acquainted with wonderful flavors and enjoy.

HerbsHerbs

6 REPLIES 6

Dulke
Junior Chef IV
Junior Chef IV

Our public library has had a fun activity this year called the Spice Club. Each month participants get a small container of that month's spice, several recipes, and a sheet of library resources for further information and ideas. We've had sumac, turmeric, cumin, cardamon, Szechuan pepper, garam masala, nutmeg, pickling spices, a few others I cannot quite recall. Cumin is this month. I personally have used all of the ones we've had, but it's been fun to see various recipes and some of the great books about spices. Fresh spices can enhance your cooking so much.

TricityTracy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Sounds like you have an amazing public library! They have found a terrific way to connect the love of reading with flavor and excitement. What a wonderful variety you are trying so far. I hope you enjoy some of the various recipes from the library and find some new books as well. Be sure to share some of your new recipes, sounds interesting!

SnacksNSneakers
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for this post-fun learning something new every day! Trying new spices in recipes [or seeing how spices interact for unique flavors] is always a fun part of cooking and tasting.

I agree, trying new spices and herbs are a fun part of cooking and tasting. I recently just started growing fresh herbs on my countertop and I am trying and growing new varieties every 60 days or so. One thing that I have noticed is that most guests at the table love to see or know that the ingredients you are serving them you have grown yourself.