cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I always hungry?

chocolate_rhapsody
Ambassador [Associate] Registered Dietitian Ambassador [Associate] Registered Dietitian
Ambassador [Associate] Registered Dietitian

You know when you get hungry 30 minutes after a meal? And you're like, "Really!?!"

Sometimes we're hungry because we simply didn't eat enough. Other times, we're hungry because our meal needed a better nutrition balance. The food on our plate impacts how full we feel in a few different ways...

pexels-alex-green-5693056.jpg

Higher volume foods like high fiber vegetables and legumes (beans, peas, lentils) take up more space in our stomach, activating stretch receptors that signal a sensation of fullness in our brains.

Hyper processed foods made from refined sugars and starches (white bread, cookies, lots of cereals) don't take up a lot of room in our stomachs, so we can eat a lot and not feel full... which is why that coffee shop pastry might leave you hungry before you hit your first meeting. 

Proteins and fats trigger signals in our gut to slow down digestion and absorption, which keeps our blood sugars more steady and gives us a more sustained energy- rather than that blood sugar spike and crash that easily triggers feelings of hunger.

The key:  Eating a balanced plate of protein + fat + fiber can help us feel full and satisfied for hours.

Take a look at your next meal and make sure there is a good source of fat, protein, and aim for half a plate of veggies to make sure you'll feel full until your next meal!

2 REPLIES 2

Kan1
Food Adventurer
Food Adventurer

Interesting!

SnacksNSneakers
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing this-lots of great information here. Especially working from home with the convenience of the kitchen (and what I call "counter food"] only steps away, I'm certainly guilty of eating the wrong things and not feeling full.