cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crispy, Crunchy, Corn Chip Hack

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

A crunchy bag of baked corn chips.A crunchy bag of baked corn chips.

As a little girl, I thought there was nothing finer than potato chips. They had a thin, fragile profile, they were salty and greasy and incredibly satisfying, though the chips that curled up and around, were my favorites. And the commercial was right, I couldn't eat just one.

Then somewhere around the age of nine or ten, I had my first corn chip and Holy Crow, did my world open up! Wonderful as potato chips were, they had nothing on corn chips! While fragile, they were a little firmer, yet seriously crunchier -and the flavor? OMGosh, it didn't get any better.

Corn chips have been a life long love affair for me. I adore them. I love them with fresh, homemade salsa. I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as too much good guacamole with corn chips. And Lord knows, I can't get enough of great nachos.

I grew up in a place called Brooklyn Heights (the Brooklyn Bridge pours into Brooklyn Heights) and if you're of an age, you might remember the Patty Duke show, and some of the theme lyrics "...Patty Duke in Brooklyn Heights -what a fancy pair...". In Brooklyn Heights, Montague Street is the 'main drag', and as a kid, there was an honest-to-goodness traditional Mexican Restaurant, name of Old Mexico, that made their own corn chips, that I discovered in my late teens. They. Were. Fabulous. The flavor was incomparable, they were firm, and super crunchy, yet they had a fragility that put them over the top. The good news/bad news is from that time forward, they have been my barometer for great corn chips though sadly, I've never had any that have come close.

Corn chips baked 8 minutesCorn chips baked 8 minutes

That being said, I do have a hack, and an easy one at that, which helps commercial corn chips, get a little closer to the quality of Old Mexico's. Whenever I want my corn chips to have a slightly superior flavor and a little extra crunch, I stick them in the oven at 350º for as much as 7 or 8 minutes (and no more), take them out and let them cool. There is something about baking them like that, which alters both the flavor and texture -not much, but enough. And if you've got an open bag of chips that are starting to get stale, try popping them in the oven and baking them. It makes all the difference.

And there you have it, an important life hack!

Bon Appétit, Life is Good... ❤️

0 REPLIES 0