Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To: Cook Rice

SnacksNSneakers
Community Manager
Community Manager

rice.jpeg

We'll be exploring some key fundamentals that will help you with many dishes and are simply great skills to have at your disposal. And while some of you are total pros, many of these areas we will explore are some of the most searched questions on Google.

When you know how to do it the right way, cooking rice is like riding a bike. But there's nothing worse than bad rice. Check out this great article for perfect rice, every time. As a bonus, it has a lot of tips on various types of rice, including brown rice, rice pilaf, microwave, rice cooker and more.

Once you've perfected your rice game, try some of the recipes in the community [just search "rice" on any page], like this Better Than Takeout Chicken Fried Rice.

4 REPLIES 4

Dulke
Junior Chef IV
Junior Chef IV

I bought a small rice cooker years ago and have never looked back. It is really a great appliance if you eat rice at least once a week. (I also use it to make oatmeal, grits, polenta, fritattas - no more scorched pans and I don't have to stand by the stove and monitor while these things cook). Before I got the rice cooker, I used another method that I learned while taking a seried of Chinese cooking classes. Rinse your rice as indicated in the article. Put the rice in a heatproof bowl, and pour in enough water to cover your rice by about one finger joint - imprecise, I know, but it works. Pour water into your wok and bring to a boil, reduce heat to that it's simmering, put your bamboo steamer over it, and place the bowl into the steamer. Cover with lid and let steam until done - maybe 20 minutes? I don't really remember, it's been some time since I've done this. But I always had perfect rice using this method.

Love to hear that you also use "one knuckle" method!

Agreed that we use our rice cooker all the time-if we time it just right, we can set it, forget it and its done as soon as our main dish is finished in time for a great meal! 

MIne has a timer, so I could set it in the morning for a specific time at dinner. It's best to open and fluff the rice, but if you don't, the rice will still be good, even if your schedule goes awry. Beth Hensperberger's The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook is a terrific place for ideas. I borrowed it from the library a dozen times before finally buying it.