cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Time You Bake a Potato, Try...

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Baked Potato with the works!Baked Potato with the works!

I spent almost twenty years as a 4-H volunteer. And among other things, for 6 days, my boys and I practically lived at the Columbia County Fair, that operates over Labor Day weekend. My boys were involved in many ways; 4-H exhibits (natural sciences, art, crafts and food among others), they showed animals, volunteered to help in the 4-H building as well as volunteering to help at the antiques barn.

For years, I ran the 4-H Milk Bar, where we made ice cream cones, root beer floats, shakes and sundaes, to help fund 'teen trips', and trust me, the Milk Bar was a very busy, hopping place and we practically ran morning through night.

Potatoes, pre-baking, note the water on the bottom of the panPotatoes, pre-baking, note the water on the bottom of the pan   Because we were so busy and I had so many kids to keep track of, I spent a lot of time in that little building, but every once in a while, I'd get the opportunity to sneak out and go across the road to the 4-H building where they sold baked potatoes (also as a fund raiser), with the works -butter, sour cream, bacon bits, salt, pepper and chives.

We've long since moved away from there, my boys are grown and no longer involved in 4-H, and it's been ten years since I've been back. However, every year over Labor Day weekend, I bake up some potatoes and indulge myself with a potato with the works. Only these days, I've added horseradish and either Seriously Sharp Cheddar or Parmesan cheese to the mix, and lost the chives but added scallions -you know, the same thing only different.

And after baking -note the steam cracksAnd after baking -note the steam cracks

The whole point to this musing though is to offer you a tip. I've found that unless I want to make double baked stuffed potatoes, the best way to 'bake' a potato is to put some water in the bottom of the pan with the potatoes, cover it and steam them. It makes for a much moister potato and one you won't break your teeth on the skins!

Bon Appétit, Life is Good... ❤️

0 REPLIES 0