Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for Wooden Utensil Care

OzoR
Community Manager
Community Manager

F03FA677-14AE-46BE-80F8-274A02ACE29A.jpeg

Hi! I just ordered a new wooden spatula as my old one is starting to crack. What are the best ways to make sure I can use my new spatula for longer?

4 REPLIES 4

SnacksNSneakers
Community Manager
Community Manager

Funny-I asked this same question when I I had some wooden utensils sent to me (and somehow inherited a few into our collection). In looking for the specific article, I found this one that talks about the the tips and tricks for caring for your utensils.

AndrewEatsEverything
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

@OzoR - echoing the tips in @SnacksNSneakers article, one of the best things you can do to prevent cracking is to make sure you don't let them soak in water for long periods of time (I know it's tempting to let then soak and come back to them later!)

Secondly, try to hand wash them, rather than throwing them in the dishwasher, where the high heat can dry them out too much. 

Also, about once a month, you can apply a non-food mineral oil to them to keep them from drying out. In my experience, this extends their lifetime by quite a bit!

Thanks for the tips @AndrewEatsEverything ! I'm definitely guilty of these! I haven't tried Mineral oil yet. I'll have to give it a go. Thank you!

AndrewEatsEverything
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

no problem! I'm guilty of getting lazy with using oil but it def makes a difference on my cutting board in particular.