cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is an easy and fast way to cook ravioli's from scratch?

Megs-n-Cheese
Community Manager
Community Manager

IMG_8407_.jpgI love when my Aunt comes in town because she spoils my family with homemade gnocci and raviolis - she makes it look so easy...when I try, I am reminded that my technique is beginner...any tips when cutting the raviolis from the main sheet? Mine seem to get stuck!

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewEatsEverything
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Here are a few helpful tips!

• If you're using a ravioli stamp (or cutter), try dusting the cutting edge in a little flour before each cut - that should help prevent them from sticking! 
  • If you're using a ravioli mold, lightly coat the mold with a vegetable, canola or olive oil-based cooking spray before lining with the pasta dough. Make sure to use even, firm pressure when rolling over the mold. You can also use a a pasta wheel to help cut the edges of each ravioli, if needed! 

I tried the vegetable oil and it was a game changer! 

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Stuck how Megs-n-Cheese?  On the surface (board/counter)?  Stuck as in you can't get them apart without breaking them?  Stuck on/in the cutter?  Is your dough room temperature or slightly chilled?  How sticky is the dough when you're rolling and cutting it?  What kind of flour do you use?  Semolina?  All purpose?  A combination?  If it's a combination, what ratio?  And once your ravioli is cut, do you refrigerate it first before cooking or do they go directly into the pot?  Asking that last question because I also wonder if they're sticking together after they're cut and if so what sort of issues that causes -including cooking them, because I wonder if they end up in something of a large lump and therefore difficult to have them cook well and individually.

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

One other thought Megs-n-Cheese, what is your egg to flour ratio?  I'm wondering if it's got just a little too much egg?  Or perhaps a better way to put it is not enough flour for the eggs -because it's easier to adjust the flour than it is the eggs, and that's why you're having some trouble with it sticking?  Just a thought...