cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food, Glorious Food!

Joyce
Taster
Taster

Hi everyone!  Spent more pre-school time with my Great Aunt and Uncle at their home which was near my parents' home at a time of transition from traditional to modern.  My Great Aunt cooked from scratch and set the table with table cloths on a table pad (muffle the sound of plates/glasses hitting the wood table) and napkins.  Our meals included the main dish, a vegetable, bread of some kind and dessert. At home my mother used a tiny cookbook (no pictures) to bake biscuits from scratch.  Other than meats and certain vegetables, my mother found canned and frozen foods useful.  My Great Aunt worked (domestic and laundry) and was very active in her church.  My mother was a stay-at-home-mom whose social schedule during the day was to host her girlfriends for daytime soap operas on a schedule while I took an afternoon nap.  What these women taught me was to appreciate home cooked meals and to be curious about seasonings.  Later in life, I expanded this interest to a collection of more than 100 cookbooks (greatly reduced during my recent move into retirement) and a part time job at Williams Sonoma where the employee discount helped me to further my interest in cuisine.  Food is edible history and culture.  Glad to meet everyone!

2 REPLIES 2

SnacksNSneakers
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the community. It sounds like you have a ton of great recipes, tips and tricks and experience to share with the community. We're lucky to have you here! [And share some of your favorite cookbooks and recipes with us!]

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

Awww @Joyce, welcome, I LOVE your story!  My mother was a lousy cook, so I grew up on crap like canned spaghetti and TV dinners.  Thankfully my neighbor, whose children were my best friends growing up, was a wonderful cook and I learned the difference!  And how great is it that you got to work for Williams Sonoma with all that really fun kitchen stuff?!  Would love it if you'd share a favorite recipe or two! ❤️