cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey!

LPvp
Food Enthusiast
Food Enthusiast

Lover of gardening, canning and bbq.  Looking forward to sharing ideas with each other...

4 REPLIES 4

passthesauce
Junior Chef V [Associate]

Welcome @LPvp ! Does that mean you grow your own produce to preserve!!! I used to do a ton of preserving with my mom every year but have taken a couple years off as my new place needs land broken for a new veggie garden and the house projects have taken priority! 

Any great BBQ sauce recipes you could share? I did a really good Apple Chipotle one a few years ago using the apples from my trees.

Hey, passthesauce.  The BBQ sauce you made sounds amazing.  I fully understand the house project vs. garden dilemma (you never get away from it, every year its something that gets in the way of the garden).  Quick tip: scour the markdown produce racks at your local grocery store for "almost gone" or "no longer pretty" produce, fruits and veggies.  Usually the day before the sale ads come out (by me it is Tuesday).  I have a few stores I visit weekly and pick up great stuff to get creative on my canning. If you have an particular ethnic demographic store those racks will fuel your creativity in ways you never thought (and you can save the seeds from those produce to use for the future in your garden!).  I subscribe to a lot of canning blogs to get my creative juices flowing, but "Food in Jars" is my all time fave.  I can Pickled Plum's site marinade for Char Siu Roasted Eggplant and keep a jar in the fridge, sincerely addictive, and I tried it on with some salmon on the grill and it was amazing...happy canning, cooking and gardening...can't wait to hear what you are trying...

Marinade

• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar

passthesauce

Wow @LPvp what a great idea to fuel creativity!! 

I'm going to try the marinade on some salmon my neighbors brought over last week! I will report back!

SnacksNSneakers
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the community! I know there are a lot of members in the community who garden and grow their own produce, but I think you might be one of the first that mentioned canning. As people try to eat healthier, I'm sure your tips would be really helpful!