Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love this Cole Slaw!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

IMG_4830.png

I was reaching for the heavy head of pale green Ice Burg lettuce so I could hit the bottom of it on the counter in order to core it, when a painful memory came rushing to the forefront of my pea brain.

After my mom died my father was really lost. Not knowing what to do with himself, he spent a lot of time watching TV, and much to my sister's chagrin, he'd find all kinds of nifty gadgets on the boob tube and order them. I think he knew she was a little aggravated with him for doing that, consequently he started ordering things for me, including one of those nifty little kitchen hand slicers that, "Slices, Dices, Chops and with the proper attachment, can even do the laundry all at the same time!"

IMG_4829.pngBack tracking to a million years ago, I was charged with making a large bowl of piquant Cole Slaw for a BBQ. So I excitedly pulled out that trusty dusty slicer for it's maiden voyage and reached for a large head of cabbage. Only the cabbage was way to big for the slicer, which meant I had to quarter it. So to make things easier, I picked it up, held it high and brought it down with a bang on my large cutting board in order to take the core out easily.

I'd like to be able to tell you that nothing happened. But that's not the truth. The truth is I broke that sucker right in half ~and sadly, it was a very expensive cutting board!

I DID mention that I had a pea brain didn't I?

Ingredients:

IMG_4775.png

1 Medium head Cabbage

1 medium Carrot

1-15 oz can Crushed Pineapple, drained

*1/3 cup Pineapple juice

1/2 small Onion

2-1/4 cups Miracle Whip

2 tblspns Sugar

2 Tblspns Distilled Vinegar

1 tspn Salt

1/2 tspn Pepper

Instructions:

IMG_4831.png

1). Quarter the cabbage, being careful to cut the core out.

2). Using the thin-medium blade on a slicer, shred your cabbage into a good sized bowl.

3). Grate a medium sized carrot using the largest holes (not slices) on a grater, and add that into the cabbage.

4). Using very small holes (not the tiniest), grate half of a small onion over the cabbage mixture.

5). Drain the pineapple and add that to the cabbage mixture, putting the 1/3 cup of juice aside.

6). Add the Miracle Whip, sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, salt and pepper to the mixture and combine everything thoroughly then let it sit for a couple of hours.

7). Stir occasionally.

Tips:

*The bowl will be very full at first, but little by little the cabbage will lose some of its volume.

**Also, while it's tempting to add more pineapple juice, if you do, the cole slaw will just become runny and not very good.

2 REPLIES 2

SnacksNSneakers
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love cole slaw with fish and chips!

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

You and me both @SnacksNSneakers! ❤️