cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sausage Orzo Soup

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

It's a funny day here in Vermont. This morning when I took the hound dawgs out it was a frigid 16º. And though it was early morning and therefore not actually, 'daylight' you could tell the sky was dark grey. Partly because it was just light enough to see vague outlines of clouds but mostly because of the thin ribbon of deep orangey/red that looked to be about a foot wide outlining the distant mountains. It was as if as the sun was trying valiantly to shine on the world but was being weighed down by the heaviness of those ominous grey clouds.

It felt almost like there was a message in that scene, which said, 'It's December first, you know it's way past time for a real snowfall, take care of all the things you’ve neglected because it's about to snow...'

As it turns out, the snow's been holding off so far in my corner of Vermont, but it's coming any time now. And like the feeling of the calm before a storm, there's a calm in my home, or a rare quietness.

There's a pot of Sausage Orzo soup simmering away on my stove, filling the kitchen with a delicious, earthy aroma. And there’s a batch of rosemary onion bread rising in a big bowl, just waiting its turn to fill the air with its tantalizing scent.

A couple of my guys are out in the yard finishing up last minute chores and one is on his way home, bringing the storm with him that's heading this way. I'll be so relieved when he gets home safely and I can finally let go of the breath I've been holding, waiting for his safe return.

If you've got a moment to say a quick prayer, I'd be grateful if you could pray for his safe return! Meanwhile, I hope you and yours are safely tucked away and having a good afternoon ~no matter the weather in your corner of the world...

Life is good... ❤️

Sausage Orzo Soup

1-1/2 pounds   Sausage, ground

1 medium        Onion

1 medium        Zucchini

1 medium        Yellow Squash

8 oz                 Mushrooms

4 cloves           Garlic

6 cups              Chicken Broth or stock

28 oz can         Petite Diced Tomatoes

1 pinch            Red Pepper Flakes

2 whole            Bay Leaves

1/2 teaspoon    Oregano

1/2 teaspoon    Basil

1/3 cup            Orzo

1 teaspoon       Salt, or to taste

1/2 teaspoon    Black Pepper

2 tablespoons  Olive Oil

-Put the olive oil in a large pot, then add the sausage and let it cook partially.

-Add the onion, garlic, zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms.  Give it a stir, cover the pot and

on a medium/low heat let it cook until the sausage is cooked through, stirring occasionally.

-Add the chicken broth, red pepper flakes, bay leaves and bring the mixture to a boil.  Once it’s

come to a hard boil, turn it down to a simmer and cook until all the veggies are soft.

-Once all the veggies are soft, add the petite diced tomatoes, basil and oregano, then bring the   

mixture back up to a boil.  Add the orzo and cook the mixture for 12 minutes, stirring regularly.

-Turn off the heat and cover the soup and let it sit for 15 minutes or util the orzo is soft.

Delicious, hearty and warms you from the inside out!Delicious, hearty and warms you from the inside out!

Broth, spicing and orzoBroth, spicing and orzo

The 'hearty' ingredientsThe 'hearty' ingredients

Sausage Orzo soup garnished with shaved parmesanSausage Orzo soup garnished with shaved parmesan

2 REPLIES 2

Dulke
Junior Chef IV
Junior Chef IV

That soup looks fabulous! A prayer for anyone who needs to be out and about in adverse weather. We've gone from -9 to 57 and may exceed 60 this week. Very abnormal weather..... We have had a medium-sized snowfall, however....

NoshwithNancy
Ambassador [Associate]
Ambassador [Associate]

OMGosh @Dulke, the weather has been crazy this year!  HOT, then COLD, then HOT then FRIGID, then warmer, then lots of snow and ice and two weeks of cold, then almost hot (38º).

Thank you for your kind words.  In all honesty, this soup is TERRIFIC and super easy to make!

Stay safe and have a healthy, happy, prosperous New Year! ❤️